General WPRA Amunggut Tabi stated in one of the briefings to his troops at the Central Headquarters of West Papua Revolutionary Army (WPRA) at Yako Village, Papua New Guinea that there are three poisons that have destroyed our campaigns to free West Papua, namely egoism, gossiping, and fear.
We have discussed the first poison in previous article. Now we look into the second poison called “Nabok-Kabok”, which literally means, talking about you and at the same time talking about me. This is the first social poison, stems from the first personal poison: ego.
The second Poison is called “Nabok-Kabok” and “Nebi-Kebi”
In Lani language of West Papua we call “nabok-kabok” telling bad stories about other people.’meaning “gossiping”, talking about fellow human, and talking about others without any clear basis and facts, we just gossip around, baseless talk about other human beings. We spread hatred, suspicion and create tensions by spreading wrong or baseless information about other people and about what they are doing.
The Lani concept of “gossip” literally means I spread gossips about you and you also spread gossips about me. There is reciprocal dynamic, cause and effect, give and receive, natural act of balancing occurring automatically.
There is hatred in gossip and there is lie in gossip, both caused by “an-an”, the previous poison that we already discussed. Gossip is groundless, baseless information about something against someone. The purpose of gossiping is to undermine someone that were are gossiping about, and demean whatever they do and even whoever they are.
In addition to lie and hatred in gossiping, there is also an element of slander in gossiping, i.e, spreading false information about someone else or something. Most gossip contain slander, but there are also gossip that contain truth. The problem here is the purpose of gossiping, not on whether or not the information is true or false.
In Lani language, it is called “nabok-kabok“, which means psychologically, that when I am telling stories about others, I am also telling stories about myself to others. In other words, by gossiping, I am showing to others who I am. If I am telling bad stories about others in my gossip, then I am as bad as the gossip. If I am a dog, I will bark, I will not whistle. Just as simple as that. If I have a problem, I will always talk about problems.
Nabok-Kabok in Free West Papua Campaign
There is no time to mention gossiping among West Papuan leaders, activists and organisations that has been happening along our independence struggle, but we want to focus on what is happening right now, per October 2020.
- There is gossip from the ULMWP that Octovianus Motte does not like and does not accept Benny Wenda as the chair of the ULMWP Executives, and therefore, he is creating and organising other groups against the ULMWP in general and Benny Wenda.
- There is gossip that Indonesia is using TPN PB OPM to destroy ULMWP and Free West Papua Campaign, and at the same time, TPN PB OPM also blame that ULMWP is an Indonesian sponsored organisation that aims at stopping West Papua from gaining independence.
- There is gossip that West Papua Army is an Indonesian sponsored military command, and at the same time all commanders who joined the West Papua Army blame the TPN PB OPM as fully funded by the Indonesian BIN and Kopassus.
- There is gossip that the “14-Stars Group” or NRFPB is already in full control of the ULMWP and that at the end of the day a free and independent West Papua will not be The Republic of West Papua but it will be The Republic of West Melanesia.
- There is also gossip that Buktar Tabuni and Lukas Enembe already signed agreement in order to accept dialogue to be conducted between Indonesia and Jakarta.
- There is gossip that Jeffry Bomanak is fully paid by Indonesia, he gets his salaries from Indonesian consulate in Vanimo and Port Moresby. Likewise there is also gossip that WPRA and WPA are fully paid by Indonesia through various business activities carried out in West Papua.
- There is gossip that Menase Tabuni dan Markus Haluk are paid by Indonesia inside the ULMWP in order to stop West Papua from gaining full independence.
The list can continue to hundreds and even thousands of gossips spreading around Melanesians in West Papua. We call all these “gossips”, and many of them contain slander or defamation
Defamation (also known as calumny, vilification, libel, slander or traducement) is the oral or written communication of a false statement about another that unjustly harms their reputation and usually constitutes a tort or crime.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defamation
“Nabok-Kabok” nen apuluk/ agaluk “Nebi-Kebi Endake”: Gossiping brings about Divisions
Free West Papua Campaign is full of slander, baseless and even false accusations that costed so many lives in the hands of fellow Melanesians. We have spent more time and energy spreading rumours and gossiping about each other than talking about Indonesia and what they are doing against our struggle.
Free West Papua Campaign without slander, rumours and gossiping will cost us less time, less energy, less money, and no lives.
Gossiping has divided us up. Gossiping has destroyed us personally and our groups. Gossiping has poisoned this holy and morally, democratically, legally and spiritually justifiable struggle.
Yes, the result of gossiping is division. And division is the goal of the Satan, Lucifer. As we recall the Biblical story, we see the Lucifer’s ambition to become the same as God has failed. His work to colonise human beings also failed because Jesus has died on the cross and has risen from the death, and has ascended to have, and have promised to come back to judge and throw him and his followers to hell, and take all believers to heaven.
Whenever there is gossiping, of course there is division. We recall the Biblical history. When Lucifer came to Eve, he started gossiping about God, by twisting some words from the Bible, which caused Eve to twist and then misinterpret the outcome of falling into the Devil’s trap. This gossiping aused deadliest separation between God and men. Human race fell into sin and became separated from God.
The Bible in Genesis 1:1-3 records the conversation between Eve and Lucifer as follows
Now the serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field that the LORD God had made. And he said to the woman, “Did God really say, ‘You must not eat from any tree in the garden?’ ”<https://biblehub.com/genesis/3-2.htm>
2 The woman answered the serpent, “We may eat the fruit of the trees of the garden,
3 but about the fruit of the tree in the middle of the garden, God has said, ‘You must not eat of it or touch it, or you will die.’ ”…
The question from Lucifer added “any tree” even though God only said “only one tree” that human should never eat. In reply, Eve said, “…you must not eat of it or touch it, or you will die”. God never said anything about touching it, He spoke about eating it. There are additions to the truth. This brought about sin. This brought about division between God and human race.
Exactly the same pattern operates today in our lives, particularly in our campaigns to Free West Papua. When we add ingredients to our cooking, then the taste of the food changes from its original pure taste into new taste, from united, loving and kindness in Jesus Christ, as fellow human beings and fellow Melanesians into division hatred and even threat to each other.
What a game we are in!
Psychologically, the basis for gossiping is still the same, “the ego”. We are in service to our own ego
And the outcome of gossiping is also the same “we fall into sin”, we commit sin, we become sinners. It divides us up, it indicates that we are not trustworthy, it shows that we are murderer, we have wickedness in our hearts, we are full of hatred against others.
And the outcome of gossiping is we exhaust our energy, we waste our energy and finally we reach nothing but hatred, division and failure.
- Egocentric person or leader will be happy and will make gossiping as the his/ hear staple food.
- Egocentric person or leader will be happy to see his competitor get nothing, his/ her opponent is kicked out or disliked or hated by others.
- Egocentric person or leader will start his discussions by pointing problems and mistakes committed by his opponents or his potential competitor.
“Ego” is the source of slander and gossip. Ego is the mother of gossiping. Spreading unsubstantiated and false information about others serves the ego of the person spreading it, talking about it, and enjoying it.
In other words, anybody or any leader who are not egocentric will never spread rumours and engaged in gossiping about other leaders, fellow Independence fighters.
“Nabok-Kabok” is a Social Decease, Stems from Personal Poison Called “Ego”
It was mentioned before that “gossiping” is a poison, but it is actually a disease. “a disorder of structure or function in a human, animal, or plant, especially one that produces specific signs or symptoms or that affects a specific location…” <https://languages.oup.com/google-dictionary-en/>
The famous Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, “A disease is a particular abnormal condition that negatively affects the structure or function of all or part of an organism, and that is not due to any immediate external injury.” <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disease>
“Nabok-Kabok” is a social decease, stems from poison number 1: the “ego”. It is a personal poison, that produces a social poison called “nabok-kabok”.
The outcome of this disease creates a new poison called “slander, rumours and gossip”. So gossip become poison when the people who gossip become addicted to it, and then become used to gossiping, and finally they “enjoy gossiping”.
“Nabok-Kabok” Creates “Nabi-Kebi” as is the Deadliest Social Poison in a Struggle for Collective Cause
As stated above, Lucifer crated gossip about what God has said about fruits in the Garden. Even also said something in addition to what God really said. This turns and shifting from truth into gossip created division between God and human. The same formula applies to human lives. When we spread rumours, create slanders, start gossiping each other, we are creating a social disease called “division”.
The term “nebi-kebi” in Lani language means, I do not like you and you do not like me, I hate you and you hate me. This creates what Indonesians called “musuh dalam kelambu”, i.e., enemies in our own sleeping nets.
“Nebik-Kebi” comes from the Seed called “Ego”, through the root called “Fear”, into the Stem Called “Nabok-Kabok” that BRINGS ABOUT “DEath”
That is the “death” of human beings, the death of a struggle, death of the collective mission and efforts. Death to the mission, death to the vision, death to the collective struggle, and even death to the persons gossiping.
The cause and effect continues, “nebi-kebi” causes hatred and other destructive and deadly minds, rhetoric and actions. “Nebi-kebi” can cause killing each other among fellow independence fighters.
Now is YOUR JOB Readers
- Notice when Benny Wenda speaks to you and make a public statement about anything or anybody
- Notice when Octovianus Motte speaks to you and make a public statement about anything or anybody
- Notice when Chief Gen. WPRA Mathias Wenda speaks to you and make a public statement about anything or anybody
- Notice when Jeffry Pagawak speaks to you and make a public statement about anything or anybody
- Notice when Victor Yeimo speaks to you and make a public statement about anything or anybody
- Notice when Sebby Sambom speaks to you and make a public statement about anything or anybody
- Notice when Egianus Kogeya speaks to you and make a public statement about anything or anybody
- Notice when Nggoliar Tabuni speaks to you and make a public statement about anything or anybody
- Notice when Buktar Tabuni speaks to you and make a public statement about anything or anybody
- Notice when any leader speaks to you and make a public statement about anything or anybody
Pay close attention to their choice of words, their attention, their gestures or their logic. Look at what they say,
- Are they really talking against Indonesia?
- Are they really talking to free West Papua?
- Are they doing something else other than the above two?
This to avoid in this kind of exercise are as follows:
- Kill your personal and group ego first. If not you will find it hard to accept what is written here. If you find it hard, you must pray to God to forgive and to forget.
- Pray for forgiveness, forgive the person who is talking and ask for forgiveness for yourself.
- Focus on whether or not the speaker is talking about
- “to free West Papua”? or
- to fight againt Indonesia”? or
- to fight each other among Melanesians ourselves?
- What should be done with the poison of egocentric leader?
- What should be done with the poison of egocentric military command?
- What is the third poison?
- What is the Biblical references to gossip, slander and spreading rumours?
- What should be done with gossips, rumours and divisions already existing withing Melanesians from West Papua in this struggle for independence from Indonesian neo-colonial rule?
[…to be continued….]